Springtime Auto Tips
Springtime is a prime time for auto maintenance. That first wash-n-wax on a warm Saturday afternoon is liberating. Winter’s gloom (to say nothing of grit and road salt) is literally washed away. Take out the snow shovel, the gloves, and heavy boots and store them ’til next season. Surely summer can’t be far away.
Some preparation now will help ensure that your summer driving plans go as smoothly as you envision. The staff at Ernie’s Auto Service offers the following tips on getting your vehicle ready for summer:
- Read your vehicle’s owner’s manual and follow the recommended service schedules. If you have never been in the habit of doing so, it is never too late to start!
- Have hard starts, rough idling, stalling, etc. corrected before hot weather sets in.
- The level, condition, and concentration of the coolant should be checked. Flush and refill the cooling system (radiator) according to the service manual’s recommendations or if your automotive technician recommends such a service is needed after an inspection.
- The tightness and condition of belts, clamps, and hoses should be checked by a qualified auto technician to see if anything is worn and needs replacement.
- Have a marginally operating air conditioner system serviced by a qualified technician to reduce the likelihood of more costly repairs – before the hot summer temperatures are upon us!
- Change the oil and oil filter as specified in owner’s manual. Oil is the life’s blood to your car. If you are not sure when the last oil change was done (should be a sticker on your windshield) then schedule an oil change now.
- Replace other filters (air, fuel, PCV, cabin, etc.) as recommended.
- Check the condition of tires, including the spare. Always check tire pressure when the tires are cold. If any tread is worn too low or if there are bulges or wire belts showing through the tread, now is the time to replace.
- Inspect all interior and exterior lights and bulbs; replace burned out bulbs.
- Replace worn wiper blades and keep plenty of washer solvent on hand to combat summer’s dust and insects.
Ernie and his professional staff are here to assist in getting your car ready for the warm weather. If you have any concerns about your vehicle safely making it through the summer, or know that your car is in need of scheduled maintenance, give us a call at 847-746-5861 to make an appointment.